20.2.06

My Words (An English Ghazal)

Strived to capture your splendour, my words
From the first, bound for failure, my words

Just nodding your head in agreement won’t do
Compel you to change your behaviour, my words

Perhaps they do sting like absinthe, but
In a while, you’d begin to savour my words

I may not appear too clever, true, yet
I do not use lies to flavour my words

Faithful, they stoned me for blasphemy, yes
At least they do not lack valour, my words

I do not ask you to be lavish with praise
Just call them a sincere endeavour, my words

I sing them to you, but don’t get me wrong
They don’t quite seek your favour, my words

5 comments:

vivek said...

'Taareef ke' naye alfaaz ab kahaan se laun?
jo bhi likhta hun padha-padha sa lagta hai.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

i second what vivek said and this..
write for your self and screw everyone else.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

PS. i have linked to you. hope that is OK?

Bhavv Chawla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bhavv Chawla said...

Someone said that the right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause. I even liked the pauses in your words.