7.3.06

She Was So Beautiful


Crowfeet gushed forth
From converging corners
Of her clouded eyes
In cascades
Like a silken net
They shrouded her face
In a kindness seasoned by
Nine decades

Crumpled butter paper
With a faded scent
Of milk and earth
Her withered skin
Like crushed cotton
It wrapped her tiny frame
In a size but too big
A robe too thin

Knotted and twisted
By a toil-filled life
Her root-like fingers
Felt unexpectedly slight
Now drained and shriveled
Her sacred bosom
Had suckled four nestlings
And given them flight

That sea of tenderness
So warm and still
Back to the white glacier
She must have flown
The mother of my mother
My fair old lady
The beautiful one
Alas, she is gone

4 comments:

Archana Bahuguna said...

What u wrote is beautiful. I read that in Ryze. And thanks for dropping by my blog. :-)

Russell CJ Duffy said...

a beautiful poem and even the crap spam shit cannot spoil the words, images and memories


BUT YOU'D THINK THAT PEOPLE WOULD PAY MORE RESPECT!!!!!

Bandy said...

really liked the poem, rather nice and precise images, especially liked 'crumpled butter paper'

Manasi said...

This has stirred up very similar emotions.
I lost my nani too on the 17th of dec.
You have written well.
I wanted to write about what I experienced during thattime when my mom and I spent one long night by her bed side... but have never been able to put it in words.